Schools & Agents - Promoting Education Worldwide
Password was successfully changed.

Scuola Leonardo: How to get a Visa to study in Italy

Published Lynne on Tuesday, June 15, 2021 12:00 AM

Scuola Leonardo Visa

Depending on the country of origin and the length of stay, a foreign student can enter Italy for study purposes:

- freely;

- with a tourist Visa (for stays up to a maximum of 90 days)

- with a Visa for study purposes (for stays exceeding 90 days)

Who has to apply for a Study Visa?
Non-EU students, who want to study in Italy for a period of more than 90 days, must apply for a Visa for study purposes.

Citizens of some countries are exempt from the Visa requirement for stays not exceeding 90 days (every 180 days). The exemption does not apply to entries in Italy motivated by medical treatment or the exercise of a paid activity.

How to apply for a Visa?
The visa application must be submitted to the Italian Embassy or Consulate in the student's country of residence. The list of Italian Embassies and Consulates can be viewed at the link:

What documents are required to apply?

- The Visa application form;

- The passport, which must be valid until at least 3 months after the expiry of the Visa requested;

- The reservation or the plane ticket;

- A recent passport photo;

- The Certificate of Enrollment in one of the schools of the Scuola Leonardo da Vinci group (attesting the monthly hours, the beginning and the end of the course);

- The payment receipt for the chosen course;

- The document that the student has accommodation available for the duration of the Visa (rental contract or declaration of hospitality);

- The document certifying the student's financial availability: currency, bank or insurance guarantees, including third parties, credit instruments or prepaid services, bank account statements, credit cards;

- The document certifying the economic availability necessary for possible repatriation;

- An International Health Insurance valid in Italy for urgent medical treatment and hospital admissions. If the student is already in possession of insurance in his own country, he can request that the insurance be extended to Italy. Thanks to the collaboration with, our students have the opportunity to take out travel insurance as protection for their holiday in Italy.

- A motivational letter.

Consulates may request additional documentation: in particular, the applicant's motivation for studying and the consistency between the study of the Italian language in Italy and previous studies in the country of origin are verified.

How much does it cost to get a visa?

The cost varies according to the type of visa needed.

How long does it take to get a visa?

Generally, for short stays (Schengen Visas) it takes 15 days which can be extended, in some cases, up to 60 days. For long stays (national Visas) the Visa is issued within 90 days of the request.

What is the difference between Visa duration and validity?

The duration is the actual maximum period of stay allowed;
is the time within which the visa can be used.

What should the student do when they arrive in Italy?

Students in possession of a Visa for study purposes are required to submit, within 8 days of their entry into Italy, the application for the issue of the Residence Permit to the Immigration Office of the Police Headquarters of territorial jurisdiction.

Is it possible to change the start and end dates of the course after obtaining a Visa?

Once the study Visa has been obtained, it is not possible to cancel or change the dates of the course for which the Visa was granted.

Is it possible to take a break from lessons?

Students who entered Italy with a study Visa are required to attend and schools are required to report unexcused absences of more than two days and abandonment of the course to the authorities.

Is it possible to work with a student visa?

Students in possession of a study Visa can work in Italy up to a maximum of 20 hours per week, as long as the work does not conflict with the schedule of the course and is a regular job.

Does the Leonardo da Vinci School help students with Visas?

The schools of the Scuola Leonardo da Vinci group offer their students assistance in the management of the Visa for study purposes and the Residence Permit. As soon as enrollment is completed, the school issues the enrollment certificate and the invitation letter. We can also help our students find accommodation.

More detailed information on entry Visas to Italy can be found here:

Promote Your School
Chat with US